Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ronda


At the beginning of December we had a Puente AKA a long weekend. I was desperate to get out of Seville. Spanish Boyfriend and I decided to go somewhere together and finally, at the last minute, we decided on Ronda. Ronda is a small town about 3 hours from Seville by bus. We went on a Friday evening and arrived after dark. After finding the hotel, eating, and having a few drinks we were exhausted. Imagine my surprise to see this the next morning:



We were in the middle of the mountains! I know that for some people this is nothing special, but for me it was. Coming from Central Massachusetts I am not used to seeing scenery like this and I loved every minute of it.

The first day we spent exploring the town, eating, and shopping. The town itself is gorgeous, especially the old quarter across from the famous bridge.



As one of the oldest Spanish towns, Ronda also has a lot of Moorish influence in both its culture and architecture. We visited most of the monuments, the Arab Baths, and a wine museum (not worth it by the way!) The great thing about the town is that it has plenty to do for a weekend, but is still small enough to walk everywhere and get a little bit lost while exploring!

The next day we rented a car and drove through the twisty mountain roads along the route of the Pueblos Blancos which are small whitewashed villages that appear suddenly in the middle of nowhere! We packed a typical Spanish lunch (bread, lunch meat, and cheese) and set off to see as much as possible.


Me, hiking up a mountain in 13 Euro "Sneakers" I bought from a "Chino" immediately before...

A Cave!

Finding a spot for a picnic lunch

One of the Pueblos Blancos

At the top! Look at the twisty roads... good thing I can't drive stick...

Altogether Ronda was a lot of fun! I would recommend a visit to anyone visiting Spain, as long as its not during the Winter!

1 comment:

  1. Yayyyyyyyyyy for signs of life on your blog!!!! I was thinking about bugging you about it pretty soon! Have fun on your upcoming trip!

    ReplyDelete